Not sure how to go about shipping your CBD product? We cover how to ship CBD oil in the US, internationally, the legalities, and tips for shipping your CBD product. Since CBD oil's explosion in popularity, a number of brands have rushed into the market. Most all reputable brands follow a strict set of guidelines and criteria. How to Buy CBD Oil Online If you’re curious about trying CBD oil, you may wonder how to go about buying it. There are many options available, including buying it locally. For many people, going
CBD Oil Shipping Guide: How and Where Can You Legally Ship CBD?
The popularity of CBD-based products has skyrocketed in the US in recent years. CBD has experienced a meteoric rise from a virtually unknown compound to rock-star status in the health and wellness market. That’s excellent news for those interested in starting a business selling CBD-based products. The global CBD market is valued at $2.8 billion. But one question that often comes up is the legality of shipping CBD in the US and abroad.
In this post, we’ll explain how to ship CBD oil across state lines, the legality of shipping CBD-based products nationally and internationally, regulations for USPS and private shipping companies, and how to properly package products for mailing.
Can You Mail CBD Oil Legally?
The short answer is yes, provided your CBD products are hemp-based. It’s important to note that CBD can also be derived from the marijuana plant. Marijuana, the close cousin of the hemp plant, remains illegal at the federal level. Your CBD products also can’t contain more than 0.3% THC, the naturally occurring psychoactive compound found in both marijuana and hemp plants.
The USPS has issued detailed guidance on how to legally mail hemp and hemp-based products. According to USPS regulations, CBD can be mailed provided the following two conditions are met:
- The mailer complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws (such as the Agricultural Act of 2014 and the Agricultural Improvement Act of 2018) pertaining to hemp production, processing, distribution, and sales.
- The mailer retains records establishing compliance with such laws, including laboratory test results, licenses, or compliance reports, for no less than 2 years after the date of mailing.
It’s unlikely you’ll be asked to present lab reports or any other documentation listed above to mail the products. But the regulations state you may be required to present them if there’s a question about the item’s mailability or the legality of the recipient to receive it. It’s better to be safe than sorry, so keep these handy each time you’re preparing to ship a batch of orders.
Can You Mail Hemp Legally?
Some online retailers also sell raw hemp or other hemp-based products. It’s common for questions to arise about how to legally ship these products to consumers. Regulations regarding mailing raw hemp or other hemp-based products through the USPS are the same as those outlined above for CBD oils and other CBD-based products. Nothing in your order can exceed 0.3% THC, and you’ll need to be prepared with documentation to prove you’re operating legally. An example of documentation that may be requested would be third-party testing results verifying the products you’re shipping contain less than 0.3% THC.
Shipping CBD or Hemp with UPS and FedEx
Recent service delays with the USPS may have you considering using a private shipping service like UPS or FedEx to ensure on-time deliveries. It’s legal to ship CBD-based products like CBD oils, as well as hemp, provided your products have THC contents below 0.3% and have been derived from hemp plants and not their psychoactive relative, the marijuana plant.
How to Package and Ship CBD Oil
Getting CBD oil or other CBD-based products properly labeled and ready for shipping requires a little more prep work than your average online order. Here’s how to do it like a pro.
- Get your paperwork in order – Have the documentation showing your products are legally compliant ready to present if asked. This documentation includes those things listed in the USPS regulations noted earlier, as well as things like third-party lab results showing the product contains less than 0.3% THC.
- Prepare the products for shipping – If you’re shipping CBD oil, you’ll want to make sure it’s well-protected. Wrap the packaging in a thick layer of bubble wrap, and place it in a shipping box filled with packing peanuts. This setup will give it the best chance of arriving at its final destination undamaged. Good packaging is especially important if you’re shipping internationally.
- Drop the package off or schedule a pickup – Once your product is packaged up, just drop it off at your nearest post office or UPS/FedEx store. Alternately, you can schedule your courier of choice to pick it up at your home or business location.
Can You Ship CBD Oil Internationally?
CBD and other hemp-based products aren’t just popular in the United States; it’s an international trend. So can you mail CBD oil overseas? The answer to that depends on where it’s going. Some countries like Canada have stringent laws about selling CBD products from the US. Legally selling CBD products to Canadians requires a lengthy and complicated application process with Health Canada, their licensing agency. Unless you’re dead set on making inroads into the Canadian market, you’re likely to find the red tape outweighs any potential benefits.
Other countries like the UK allow CBD products shipped from the US, provided the product complies with UK law and doesn’t contain more than 1 mg of THC, regardless of how large the container is. CBD products remain illegal in some countries, like the UAE and Malaysia.
If you plan to sell CBD oil outside of the US, you must understand the regulations of the countries you’re shipping it to before you make the sale. Failing to properly understand what’s legal and what’s not in other countries has consequences ranging from a fine to jail time.
Shipping CBD Requires Knowing and Following Regulations
Selling CBD oils and other hemp-based products online can be a fun and profitable way to start an online business. But shipping CBD across state lines and internationally comes with some important caveats. Knowing and following the regulations for legally shipping CBD oil and other CBD-based products will help keep you on the right side of the law, saving time and money in potential legal headaches and ensuring your company prospers.
We have helped many CBD companies create high-quality labels for their products. Our experts would be happy to talk to you and help you with your unique needs — whether that’s helping you decide on the right labels for your CBD products or talking over your packaging options as you’re getting started. Let’s connect.
Where to Buy CBD Oil for Sale Online Legally
When looking into CBD oil brands, it’s important to spend as much time as you can researching both the brand as well as its products. Sadly, there are a lot of brands out on the market that offer inferior products at cheap prices. And though it may seem great to feel like you’re getting a fantastic deal on CBD oil, the fact of the matter is that a lot of these oils can be riddled with harmful pesticides, herbicides, solvents, and other dangerous chemicals and bacteria.
Most all reputable brands follow a strict set of guidelines and criteria when making their CBD oils. For example, highly regarded brands use the best quality ingredients, obtain all of their hemp extracts using the clean, industry-preferred CO2 extraction process, and have an independent third-party lab to routinely test all products for quality and content. Reputable brands also believe in transparency. To that end, these brands will always make those lab reports available to customers either by publishing them on their website, including the report with each purchase, or furnishing it upon customer request, among other ways.
As a consumer, it’s your responsibility to do the best you can to find the most reputable CBD brands and products for all of your health needs and wellness goals. In fact, you should be so well researched and well-versed in CBD, that you’ll know exactly what to look for when you jump online to go looking for CBD oils. Gaining an understanding of what it takes to be a reputable brand will help you to immediately sniff out brands that cut corners and sell cheap, harmful products.
Purchasing CBD Oil That’s on Sale Online
CBDBreak worked hard to test over 40 CBD brands so that we could give our readers the best brands to purchase CBD oil online from. All of the oils that these brands create are top-quality products that are thoroughly tested by an independent third-party lab. Moreover, these brands also offer a large variety of products that are perfectly suited for people with a variety of different health issues and conditions.
Top 7 Brands for Legally Buying CBD Oil for Sale Online
FAB CBD: Editor’s Top Choice
FAB CBD is one of the strongest, most caring and transparent brands out on today’s CBD oil market. The brand made its entrance into the industry in 2017, and has since kept plugging away at making advancements in the CBD oil industry. FAB CBD cares about transparency, kind and thorough customer service, and crafting the best possible CBD products. The brand’s mission has always been to help customers meet their health goals through living a preventative wellness lifestyle. Regular FAB CBD customers love that the brand is trustworthy, caring, and transparent. Since the very beginning, FAB CBD has set out to create the highest quality CBD and nutritional products so that customers can be the healthiest versions of themselves.
Everyone on the FAB CBD team helps to make the brand’s mission come to life through the formulation of its clean, potent, and effective CBD products. Verified customer reviews allow new and potential customers to see how the brand’s products have helped others with different health issues. Moreover, the brand’s caring and kind customer service has received some of the highest reviews in the industry among both customers and industry experts and CBD journalists. For these reasons, and many more, we’ve selected FAB CBD as our top choice.
- Highlights — FAB CBD has a fantastic lineup of clean and potent products. The brand’s caring customer service department outshines many others in the industry because they are warm and empathetic. Moreover, everyone at FAB CBD has a positive attitude, always pushes the envelope when it comes to product innovation, and believes strongly in transparency.
- Hemp Sources — All of the brand’s excellent CBD extracts come from organically sourced Colorado hemp that’s free from pesticides, herbicides, and other harmful chemicals. FAB CBD employs state-of-the-art growing and cloning methods and uses the very clean, industry-preferred CO2 extraction process to obtain all of it’s potent and clean extracts.
- About FAB CBD Oil — FAB CBD’s full-spectrum oils come in strengths of 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg, and 2400mg, and in smooth and delicious all-natural flavors like vanilla, mint, berry, citrus, and natural.
- Lab Testing — FAB CBD is big on transparency. To that end, the brand routinely has all of its products tested by ProVerde Labs, an independent third-party laboratory. Those lab results are then published by FAB CBD on its website where customers can easily locate them.
- Customer Service — The brand’s award-winning customer service department has won many accolades for being kind, caring, and attentive to customers’ needs, questions, and concerns.
- Pros — FAB CBD is involved in the creation process of its CBD oils from seed to sale. All of the brand’s full-spectrum oils are crafted from organic Colorado hemp to ensure that all extracts are pure, effective, and clean. Lastly, when we compared the brand’s prices against other reputable CBD brands in the industry we found that the prices are in line and right where they should be. Furthermore, the prices also reflect the quality of the ingredients and the cutting edge methods that were used to craft the CBD oils.
- Cons — The brand does not offer international shipping.
CBDistillery: Creative Product Options
CBD enthusiasts from Colorado first founded CBDistillery in 2016. The founders set out to pave their way in the industry because they weren’t too fond of the fact that the CBD market was flooded with unreputable brands that sold poorly made CBD products that were filled with dangerous herbicides, pesticides, solvents, and other dangerous chemicals.
The brand’s website states that it’s one of the “largest, affordable, and fastest-growing brands in today’s CBD industry.” CBDistillery pushes to educate the world about CBD by using its large social media presence online. In fact, the brand’s hashtags speak about the “CBD Movement” that it’s creating.
- Highlights — All of CBDistillery’s hemp is sourced from Colorado. The brand is highly involved in the creation process of all of its products, and strongly believes in being transparent with its customers. CBDistillery puts its customers first and wants to know that they are having the best possible experience with its products, website, and customer service department. The brand is certified through the US Hemp Authority Certification Program.
- Source of Hemp — All of the brand’s hemp is cultivated in Colorado. The hemp is free pesticide- and herbicide-free, and doesn’t contain any harmful solvents or chemicals.
- About The CBD Oil — CBDistillery crafts full-spectrum CBD oil drops that range from 500mg to 5000mg strengths per bottle. The brand also creates broad spectrum tinctures that range from 500mg to 2500mg strengths. Interestingly, the brand also offers a CBD isolate option.
- Lab Testing — CBDistillery also uses ProVerde Labs as its independent third–party lab that routinely tests all of its products for quality and consistency. The resulting lab reports are published on the CBDistillery website where customers can easily find them. Customers can also obtain a copy of the lab reports by using their smartphone to scan the QR code on any products that they’ve purchased.
- Customer Service — The brand’s customer service department works hard to respond to each customer’s concern, comment, and question.
- Pros — The brand makes it easy for customers to get their hands on copies of its third-party lab reports. CBDistillery also has cost-saving programs for veterans, the disabled, and low-income individuals so that they can all have access to CBD. Lastly, the brand sells a unique line of products that customers can easily afford.
- Cons — CBDistillery’s product packaging is not the most eye-catching. The brand also uses an ethanol extraction method to obtain its extracts over the cleaner CO2 extraction method. Lastly, verified customer reviews have said that CBDistillery’s oil droppers are not the most durable.
Cheef Botanicals: Best Brand Mission
Cheef Botanicals seeks to educate the masses about the hemp plant’s healing powers. Because the brand’s founders were upset over how the pharmaceutical industry misled the general public throughout the years, they took it upon themselves to create Cheef Botanicals. To that end, the founders of the brand are on a mission to speak the truth about CBD’s healing power as well as the many benefits that natural alternatives can offer.
Everyone at Cheef Botanicals firmly believes that the consumption of natural superfoods helps lower the risk of disease and promotes general health and wellness. Cheef Botanicals’ founders are attempting to end the bodily harm brought about by today’s pharmaceutical industry. They want all of their customers to live a balanced, stable life through the improvement of their health and wellness. Cheef Botanicals crafts CBD tinctures in 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg, and 300mg strengths.
- Highlights — Cheef Botanicals has a strong mission. Likewise, the brand is led by knowledgeable professionals with a wealth of food industry experience. Together, the founders were able to bring the brand’s mission to life by enabling its customers to experience CBD’s healing power while identifying the pharmaceutical industry’s dangers. All of the brand’s products are non-GMO, dairy-free, gluten free, and cruelty free. Moreover, all of the ingredients used to craft the brand’s products are pure, potent, and natural.
- Source of Hemp — Cheef Botanicals sources its organic hemp from Oregon and Colorado.
- About The CBD Oil — Cheef Botanicals’ full-spectrum tinctures come in strengths of 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg, and 3000mg.
- Lab Testing — Like our other reputable brands, Cheef Botanicals also uses an independent third-party lab to regularly test all of its products for consistency and potency.
- Customer Service — Cheef Botanicals’ customer service department works tirelessly to ensure that the needs, questions, and concerns of its customers are met.
- Pros — The brand offers a wide variety of all-natural, vegan, and non-GMO products. Cheef Botanicals’ hemp is sourced within the United States and is clean and organic. The brand also offers free shipping and a 30-day, money-back guarantee, as well as a subscription option. Lastly, all of the brand’s full-spectrum extracts are obtained through the industry-preferred CO2 extraction process.
- Cons — There are contradictory statements put forth on the brand’s website, and prices are quite high for its concentrated products.
MedTerra: Affordable Products
It took a group of CBD-lovers who passionately believed in the power of the hemp plant to build MedTerra from the ground up. The founders believe that everyone should be able to take advantage of hemp plant’s benefits through quality, affordable CBD products. The brand’s main mission is to create high-quality CBD products at affordable prices. Likewise, MedTerra also believes in accountability, and is involved, seed to sale, in the creation process of its products.
The brand’s industrial hemp is cultivated according to strict guidelines that have been established by the Kentucky Department of Agriculture. Therefore, each product has to be regularly tested by an independent third-party lab for quality and consistency. MedTerra is partnered up with the Hemp Pilot Research Program and is able to reach customers across the United States and most other countries internationally. The brand’s team of experts has dedicated their lives to the best industrial hemp farming practices, quality control, vegetable genetics, and food-grade compound extraction.
- Highlights — Everyone at MedTerra strives to create products in a sustainable way. The brand also tries hard to keep its products as affordable as possible. MedTerra feels transparency is of utmost importance, and seeks to create effective and clean products through the use of synergistic ingredients.
- Source of Hemp — MedTerra’s organic, non-GMO hemp comes directly from Kentucky. It was also one of the first brands to obtain the US Hemp Authority Certified Seal in March of 2019.
- About The CBD Oil — The brand makes a wide variety of CBD oils that caters to a large audience. MedTerra offers customers full-spectrum, broad spectrum, and CBD isolate CBD oil drops. To that end, the brand uses the industry-preferred CO2 extraction process to obtain all of its hemp extracts.
- Lab Testing — MedTerra uses a third-party lab to routinely test its products for potency and purity. Customers can download these reports by batch by clicking on the “Certificate of Analysis” link at the bottom of the brand’s website.
- Customer Service — The brand has a very helpful and knowledgeable customer service department.
- Pros — Customers have a great choice of full-spectrum, broad spectrum, and CBD isolate oil options. MedTerra also has a nice selection of CBD oil flavors and potencies. Like most of our other brands, MedTerra offers customers a 30-day, money-back guarantee.
- Cons — The brand does offer overseas shipping.
Green Roads: Large Flavor Variety
Green Roads was founded by Compound Pharmacist Laura Fuentes who was searching for a way to help her dear friend overcome his opioid addiction. Since 2013, Fuentes and her friend, Arby, set out to use Green Roads and the CBD products they created as a vehicle to help those who were struggling with addiction or who simply were looking for a natural way to boost their health and wellness.
The brand is unique in that it came onto the scene when CBD was in its infancy. The brand’s small team used grassroots efforts to spread the word about Green Roads. This was done through helping family and friends until the brand gained traction and was finally seen as an industry contender in both the eyes of the general public as well as CBD enthusiasts. Understandably, the brand and its team has grown considerably over the years.
- Highlights — Green Roads uses a variety of carrier oils and glycerine in its CBD products to enhance the bioavailability of its products as well as improve their taste. The brand believes in transparency, and therefore uses Kaycha Labs, an independent third-party lab, to routinely test all of its products. The clean, industry-preferred CO2 extraction process is also used to obtain all of Green Roads’ potent hemp extracts. Customers can choose between full-spectrum and broad spectrum CBD oils in a variety of strengths and flavors.
- Source of Hemp — All of the brand’s hemp comes from farms located in North Carolina, Oregon, and California where organic farming methods are used.
- About The CBD Oil — The brand offers a CBD and melatonin 750mg Sweet Sleep Oil. Green Roads’ full-spectrum oils come in strengths of 300mg, 750mg, and 1500mg.
- Lab Testing — Independent third-party lab, Kaycha Labs, regularly tests each batch of Green Roads’ products. All of the lab reports can be accessed through scanning the QR codes on every product that’s purchased from Green Roads.
- Customer Service — Green Roads’ customer service department is highly responsive to customer needs, questions, and concerns. Customer service is available via support email or live chat.
- Pros — Green Roads offers customers a large number of product options that have been tested by a third-party lab. The brand’s oils are clean, potent, and effective, and come in a variety of strengths and flavors.
- Cons — While having a large product variety is great, it can sometimes overwhelm customers.
NuLeaf Naturals: Strongest Potencies
In 2014, a group of plant medicine enthusiasts got together to found NuLeaf Naturals through their desire to create top-shelf CBD products that were natural, clean, organic, and thoroughly tested by an independent third-party lab. The brand’s hemp is sourced from licensed Colorado Farms. NuLeaf Naturals is involved in the creation of its products from seed to sale, as its team is responsible for the cultivation of the hemp, product manufacturing, and product sale.
All of the brand’s products are made using whole plant extracts. The brand also tries to steer clear from synthetic ingredients. NuLeaf Naturals’ hemp extracts are clean and potent because the brand uses the industry-preferred CO2 extraction process. All of the brand’s products are tested by an independent third-party lab. The reports are given to customers on request. Lastly, NuLeaf Naturals’ oil strengths range from 300mg to 6000mg.
- Highlights — All of the brand’s hemp is grown in the United States through sustainable farming practices. There are no preservatives or additives used in the creation of the brand’s products. NuLeaf Naturals’ products can be found throughout the United States and in 40 countries around the world.
- Source of Hemp — All of the brand’s industrial hemp comes from licensed Colorado farms.
- About The CBD Oil — The oil strength ranges from 300mg to 6000mg. Only whole plant extracts are used in the creation of NuLeaf Naturals’ full-spectrum oils. Moreover, the brand uses the industry-preferred CO2 extraction process to acquire all of its potent and clean extracts.
- Lab Testing — Like the rest of the brands that we’ve profiled, NuLeaf Naturals strongly believes that it needs to be transparent with its customers. To that end, it uses an independent third-party lab to ensure the quality and safety of its products. Each lab report can be found on the product pages of the brand’s website. Those reports contain information on the product’s cannabinoid profile, terpene profile, and testing results for residual solvents, pesticides, and heavy metals.
- Customer Service — Verified customer reviews account for how friendly and helpful the brand’s customer service department is. The team is fast to respond to each customer’s question, concern, and complaint. They are also extremely well-versed in the world of CBD, and are able to thoroughly answer customers in an attentive fashion.
- Pros — The brand crafts organic full-spectrum CBD oils, and has a reputation for being incredibly open and transparent. NuLeaf Naturals has all of its products tested by an independent third-party lab, obtains all of its potent extracts using the CO2 extraction process, and quickly ships out customers’ orders. As an added bonus, NuLeaf Naturals also offers customers a 30-day, money-back guarantee.
- Cons — The brand only offers full-spectrum oils. Likewise, the brand’s prices are on the expensive side, and there is not much flavor variety for its CBD oils.
Lazarus Naturals: Sustainable Products
Since 2014, Lazarus Naturals has been on a mission to make the best, most effective, most affordable CBD products. The Portland-based brand has a staunch belief that CBD products should be widely available to everyone who needs them despite any financial or physical roadblocks. The Lazarus Naturals team creates sustainably made, potent, clean products for everyone and anyone.
Lazarus Naturals is involved in the creation of its products from seed to sale. All of the brand’s hemp comes directly from central Oregon and is pesticide- and herbicide-free. Because the hemp is also non-GMO and USDA Certified Organic, all of Lazarus Naturals’ products are pure, potent, and effective.
Lazarus Naturals regularly tests its hemp plants for pesticides, heavy metals, and potency levels. The brand’s full-spectrum oils come in a standard 15mg strength per 1ml in 15ml, 60ml, and 120ml bottles. Lazarus Naturals also produces a high potency 50mg oil per 1ml in 15ml, 60ml, and 120ml bottles, a French Mocha High Potency Tincture, and a high potency Chocolate Mint flavored tincture. For those that wish to stay away from THC, Lazarus Naturals also makes THC-free versions of its high potency tinctures in flavors of natural, Winter Mint, and Blood Orange.
- Highlights — The brand uses a cryogenic ethanol extraction process to obtain its hemp extracts. All of the extracts are then filtered to ensure that there are no impurities left in the final product. Lazarus Naturals goes to great lengths to make sure that its facilities are compliant with cGMP (current Good Manufacturing Practices). Sustainability is also important to everyone at Lazarus Naturals. To that end, the brand uses recycled and biodegradable packaging materials. Each order is also personally fulfilled by someone who works for Lazarus Naturals.
- Source of Hemp — All of the brand’s hemp is grown in central Oregon and is free from herbicides and pesticides. The hemp is also USDA Certified Organic and non-GMO.
- About The CBD Oil — All of the brand’s oils have an earthy taste to them and are vegan, clean, and gluten free. The full-spectrum tinctures contain 50mg of CBD for each 1ml of oil. Oil size and strength: 15ml contains 750mg of CBD, 60ml contains 3000mg of CBD, and 120ml contains 6000mg of CBD.
- Lab Testing — Columbia Laboratories, a third-party lab, tests all of the brand’s products for solvents, pesticides, heavy metals, microbes, and potency. Customers can then find those lab reports by clicking the “Test Results” tab on each of the Lazarus Naturals product pages.
- Customer Service — The brand’s customer service department happily handles all customer questions and concerns. The customer service team, like everyone else at Lazarus Naturals, considers transparency to be a top priority. To that end, customers can expect to receive a thorough and honest response to all of their questions.
- Pros — Product prices are reasonable, especially when taking into consideration all of the high-quality ingredients that go into the making of each product. Lazarus Naturals offers a well-rounded variety of both full-spectrum and CBD isolate products.
- Cons — Ethanol extraction is used to obtain the hemp extracts.
What to Look for When Buying CBD Oil Online
At times, it can be difficult to tell the difference between a high-quality oil and a low-quality oil as you’re going through CBD brands online. In order to be sure that you’re purchasing the most potent, pure, effective high-quality CBD oils possible, you should:
- Thoroughly read all independent third-party lab reports for the products that you’re interested in purchasing. All reputable brands use an independent third-party lab to routinely test their products for quality and consistency. In fact, the brands should post their products’ CoA’s on their websites. The CoA, or Certificate of Analysis, is the independent third-party laboratory’s lab report that confirms a product’s safety, quality, and purity, among others. If you’re not finding lab reports on a brand’s website, then you should be able to email or call the brand to inquire how to obtain them. When reviewing third-party lab reports, look into whether the lab is accredited (as per the International Organization for Standardization, or ISO) and that the reports were produced recently and not a few months or years ago. Brands that use an independent third-party lab to regularly test all of its products for purity and potency tell customers that they believe in transparency and that they care about the CBD oils that they’re selling. Moreover, the brand should make those lab reports easy for customers to find on its website, or through inserting the reports into every product that’s purchased, or by furnishing the reports to customers upon request.
When reading lab reports, you should pay attention to:
- Organic and inorganic contaminants
- Ingredients, including natural or artificial flavorings and carrier oils
- Cannabinoid profile and concentrations — confirm that what’s in the report matches what’s on the label
- THC levels
- Confirm that the THC level is at or below 0.3%. This is one of the most important things to look at because according to the 2018 Farm Bill , all hemp-derived CBD products must legally contain 0.3% THC. While hemp-based CBD products are legal across the United States, each state has its own laws and regulations regarding CBD products. Any product that has over the legal limit of THC is most likely derived from marijuana, and is therefore illegal.
- Research the ingredients listed on the product label. Look closely at every ingredient that’s listed on the product label. Confirm that you’re not buying hemp seed oil. Be aware that hemp CBD oil and hemp seed oil are very different. While hemp-derived CBD products are hemp extracts, hemp seed oil contains barely any CBD at all. CBD is extracted directly from the hemp and cannabis plants, specifically from the flowers, which are rich in beneficial cannabinoids, terpenes, and phytonutrients. Industrial hemp strains contain 0.3% or less THC. Hemp seeds, however, contain a healthy amount of unsaturated fats and essential fatty acids like Omega 3 and Omega 6. Hemp seed oil is therefore sometimes used as a carrier oil for CBD extracts. Other types of oils that are used are olive oil, MCT oil, or other plant-derived, fat-based oils, as these are healthy medium-chain triglycerides and are easily digested.
Finally, look at other ingredients like coloring and flavoring. These ingredients should be made from natural plant extracts. Colorings and flavorings should be all-natural and of superior quality. Organically grown natural plant extracts are safe and highly preferred, while artificial additives can be harmful to your health. When looking at all of the ingredients that are listed on a CBD oil’s label, you want them to be clean, organic, potent, and sourced from sustainable and reputable means. It will be to your benefit to spend some time researching what a brand uses to create its oils as well as the process that the brand uses to make its oils.
- Examine where the brand sources its hemp and any other details you can find about the hemp that the CBD was extracted from. Don’t ever be afraid to thoroughly read up on a brand. Find out where the brand’s hemp comes from. Find out if the hemp comes from the United States or from Europe. The regulations for hemp from Europe are quite different from the laws and regulations in the United States. Likewise, look to see if the hemp comes from a regulated, organic farm. Organically grown hemp that comes from the United States is cultivated without the use of harmful herbicides, pesticides, or other dangerous chemicals. Clean hemp yields pure and potent CBD extracts.
- Read up on how the brand obtains all of its CBD extracts. The way a brand extracts its CBD from hemp matters. Currently, the CO2 extraction process is the industry-preferred way to obtain hemp extracts. Brands that use the CO2 extraction process have some of the cleanest and most potent extracts in the industry. CO2 extraction is also one of the safest methods possible because it doesn’t leave any harmful solvents or contaminates in the resulting extracts.
Is it Legal to Buy CBD Oil Online?
The great news is that it is legal to buy CBD oil online. As we stated earlier, thanks to the 2018 Farm Bill, all hemp-derived CBD oil is legal to purchase throughout the United States providing that it contains 0.3% or less THC. Products made by brands that comply with the 2018 Farm Bill are safe and legal to consume. You should, however, double check the laws and regulations regarding CBD in your particular state as well as any states you might be traveling through. The 2018 Farm Bill made growing industrial hemp legal across the country, so now everyone in the US can have access to CBD oil products that have been sourced from regulated farms.
How To Best Use CBD Oil
It’s quite simple to learn how to use CBD oil once you get the hang of it.The most important thing to remember is that everyone’s body is different, therefore, what works for one person might not work that great for someone else. Since there is not one general CBD oil dose that works for everyone, you will need to take some time and find the dose that works best for you. A fantastic general rule when beginning a CBD oil regimen is to start low and go slow.
As an example, if you have a bottle of FAB CBD’s full-spectrum 600mg oil, start by taking a half a dropper full once a day — this will come to 10mg of CBD. Keep with this dose for one week before checking in with your body to see how you feel. After that, if you want to increase, next go to half a dropper full twice a day. This will come to 20mg of CBD oil a day. Stay on this dose for another week before checking in with yourself again. If you need to increase, then follow this pattern until you’ve reached the right dose for your body and your needs.
Consistency is very important when it comes to taking CBD oil. The oil will be the most effective if you take it around the same time every day. Additionally, taking your CBD oil with some food in your stomach is also helpful. When it comes to the most effective way for you to take the CBD oil, it’s best if you drop the oil under your tongue and hold it there for about 60-seconds. Holding the oil sublingually gives it the chance to enter into your bloodstream through the thin membranes under your tongue. When you follow this method, you should begin to feel the effects of the CBD oil within 15 to 30 minutes.
Lastly, your own unique health issues and wellness needs also help to determine the strength of the CBD oil you’ll need. For example, strengths like 300mg and 600mg are fantastic in supporting general health, while 1200mg and 2400mg strengths are great for tackling more difficult medical issues like chronic pain, insomnia, arthritis, anxiety, depression, and others. Keep in mind that you can always move to a higher strength of CBD oil if you feel like you’ve run out of options with dosages.
A Word About CBD Oil Dosage
Just as the dosage for prescription medication and holistic supplements is important, so too is the dosing for CBD oil. You should try to be patient when it comes to finding the right CBD oil dose. Just as we said before, everyone’s body is different, therefore, one single set dose will not work the best for everyone. Moreover, consistency is key. The best way to feel the full effects of the CBD oil is to take it consistently each and every day.
Time is also a big factor when using CBD oil. Sometimes, people who are new to using CBD oil get frustrated because they are expecting to feel immediate results. The truth is that sometimes it can take a month or longer before symptoms from difficult medical conditions are lessened or relieved. Everyone’s body is different. You have to also take into account the fact that everyone’s body chemistry works differently with CBD, holistic supplements, and even prescription medication.
You should never hesitate to reach out to your primary care physician or healthcare specialist if you have any questions or concerns about CBD oil or proper dosing. Your doctor can help guide you in the best way to use CBD for your particular health needs. CBD oil can be a wonderful addition to any natural supplement regimen, you just have to be mindful that it will take time for the full effects to be felt, you need to be consistent when taking the oil, and you need to be patient because finding the right dose for your body will take some time and adjustments.
What are the Benefits of Using CBD Oil?
Studies have shown that CBD oil has a wealth of benefits associated with it. In fact, research has found that CBD oil can:
- Quell Pain — CBD oil interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system. Because of this, it can help regulate sleep, appetite, pain, and immune system functioning. Scientific researchers have found that CBD can help lower chronic pain by calming inflammation and interacting with the body’s neurotransmitters in a positive fashion. In fact, people who are struggling with chronic pain often choose higher CBD oil strengths because they are better at tackling tough chronic and acute pain .
- Decrease Anxiety and Depression — As of late, there has been a movement among Americans to use holistic and natural methods to treat anxiety and depression over traditional prescription medications. Interestingly, scientists found that CBD has antidepressant qualities in many animal studies . Additionally, when you buy potent and clean CBD oil from a reputable brand, the oil will be more effective at calming down the symptoms associated with anxiety and depression .
- Potentially Calm Pain and Reduce Nausea From Cancer — Research has demonstrated that CBD helped to reduce pain and calm nausea in cancer patients.
- Help Treat Neurological Conditions — Researchers believe that because CBD works with the body’s endocannabinoid system, it may also have additional benefits for those diagnosed with neurological conditions. In fact, one recent study found CBD helped to decrease the amount of seizures in people diagnosed with epilepsy .
- Decrease High Blood Pressure — High blood pressure has been connected to strokes and heart attacks. In fact, one scientific study found that CBD oil helped to lower the resting blood pressure in a selection of healthy men. The same study also found that when the men participated in stress tests designed to increase blood pressure, one dose of CBD oil enabled the men to only experience a small rise in blood pressure.
- Help Calm Insomnia and Bring About Sleep — Sleep disturbances can be caused by a great number of things including anxiety, depression, prescription medications, increased caffeine intake, physical conditions like restless leg syndrome, and many others. CBD oil can help calm insomnia and increase sleep by getting to the heart of what’s causing the insomnia. Scientists found that CBD oils show positive results when taken consistently and around the same time each and every day. While CBD oil can help with sleep and insomnia , long-term effects take time to be felt, so it’s important to be patient. Moreover, purchasing clean and effective CBD oils from reputable brands helps to better your chances for a restful and restorative night’s sleep.
What are the side effects?
CBD oil is generally considered safe and is well tolerated among the general population. However, there are some minor side effects associated with it. Scientific studies have discovered that some of the side effects associated with CBD are:
- Changes in weight
- Changes in appetite
Also be aware that CBD oil can negatively interact with some prescription medications. If you are taking a drug that has a grapefruit warning on it, then you need to contact your prescribing physician before incorporating CBD into your existing supplement routine. Both grapefruit and CBD can negatively interfere with specific enzymes that are necessary for drug metabolism in the body. Grapefruit and CBD can cause too much medication to enter into the bloodstream, which can lead to liver toxicity, or, in the worst case scenario, drug overdose. Therefore, it’s imperative that you talk about taking CBD with your primary care doctor before beginning to take the oil on your own.
Some Closing Thoughts
If you’re a first-time CBD oil buyer, it can be confusing and frustrating to figure out which brands are the best ones to purchase CBD from. Since the rise in CBD oil’s popularity, a great number of brands have burst onto the scene. The first thing to remember when looking for CBD oil online is that not every brand or product is created equal. There’s no need to stress anything because it pays to slow down and put some time into researching both the brand as well as the CBD oil. An educated consumer is a powerful consumer. Our top seven brands for the best CBD oil online is a fantastic place to begin your research. We’ve put time and careful consideration into choosing these brands because, in our view, they are the best that the CBD industry has to offer. Moreover, we’ve chosen FAB CBD as our top brand because its products are not only clean and effective, but also because the brand cares deeply about being transparent and has a warm and empathetic customer service department.
We understand that some buyers could be apprehensive about purchasing CBD oil online because they might have been misled by a less reputable brand with poorly made products that are laden with dangerous pesticides, herbicides, solvents, and other harmful chemicals. The good news is that while everyone makes mistakes, not all companies are out to deliberately dupe customers. If you’re looking to purchase CBD oil online, it’s important to remember the simple criteria we’ve mentioned in our guide so that you’ll be more informed and aware as you hop online to peruse CBD oil brands and products. Patience, education, discernment, and research are key to navigating the online world of CBD oils.
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.
How to Buy CBD Oil Online
If you’re curious about trying CBD oil, you may wonder how to go about buying it. There are many options available, including buying it locally. For many people, going to a store to buy CBD oil can be overwhelming, especially if you are unfamiliar with all of the terms and jargon associated with CBD.
For this reason, buying CBD oil online is often a better option. When you shop online, you can take your time to comparison shop, look up words that you don’t understand, and even check out lab results on the manufacturer’s website. Doing this can help to ensure that you get a safe, high quality product.
At Green Wellness Life, we deliver lab-tested, high quality CBD products, each of which is derived from industrial hemp grown right here in the United States. While the research on CBD is still in its early stages, initial research suggests that CBD is a great complementary health support for adults, children, and pets. Of course, before adding anything to your diet, it is important to consult with your doctor and get their input on how a particular product may affect you.
Ready to get started? Check out our CBD Products Buyer’s Guide! This post will explain everything that you need to know about CBD and hemp products before you make a purchase. Whether it’s your first time buying CBD or you’re a seasoned pro, we hope that you find this guide useful – and that it helps you buy exactly what you need.
CBD Basics: Facts and Benefits of CBD
CBD is short for cannabidiol. It is one of hundreds of naturally-occurring compounds found in the hemp plant, which are known as cannabinoids. Hemp is a species of the cannabis sativa plant, and although it is related to marijuana, it is a distinct plant.
So what do you need to know about CBD? Here are the basics:
- Although CBD has health and wellness benefits, you don’t need a doctor’s prescription or a medical marijuana card to buy CBD Rich Hemp oils. It is generally a good idea to talk to your doctor before adding a supplement to your diet, however – including CBD.
- While the research is still emerging, CBD is associated with a number of health benefits, including reducing the symptoms of anxiety, pain and inflammation, depression, seizures, acne, and insomnia.
- CBD is not psychoactive, and won’t make you feel high or stoned. Another cannabinoid that is found in marijuana, THC, does have that effect. CBD derived from industrial hemp grown in the U.S. contains just 0.3% THC or less, while marijuana contains as much as 30% THC.
- Hemp-derived CBD is legal in the United States and in many countries throughout the world. All CBD products sold on our website are made from industrial hemp that complies with federal law and contains no more than a trace amount (0.3%) of THC. You can also purchase THC-free CBD.
Interested in learning more? We have broken this guide up into concise sections, for your convenience. We’ve also linked you to our intro video that talks you through the questions we would ask if you were on the phone with us rather than browsing the web.
Who can take CBD?
CBD is not a medication. Instead, it is a food supplement made from the hemp plant. It is generally considered safe, with few side effects.
Whenever you add any food supplement or vitamin to your regimen, you should consult with a physician before making a change. This is especially true if you are currently taking any prescription medication, as it may interact with CBD. At Green Wellness Life, we are not doctors and cannot diagnose, treat, or cure any symptoms or conditions.
Adults, kids and pets may choose to take CBD supplements after talking to their healthcare providers. Pregnant or breastfeeding women should avoid taking CBD, as there is not enough research to determine how it will impact the child. Otherwise, any mammal may benefit from CBD, as we all have an endocannabinoid system that may experience a boost from taking a naturally-occurring cannabinoid like CBD.
What Types of CBD Products Are Available?
When shopping for CBD oil, you need to make three main decisions. First, you will need to decide what type of CBD you want: full spectrum, broad spectrum, or CBD isolate. Second, you will need to decide what form of CBD you want to take. Third, you will need to decide how much CBD you want to take per serving.
Below, we break down the differences between these types and forms of CBD, and explain CBD serving sizes.
Full-Spectrum Vs. Broad Spectrum Vs. Isolate Products
If you have started to shop for CBD, you may have seen terms like “full-spectrum” or “CBD isolate.” These terms describe what type of cannabinoid you can expect in the product, as well as the level of processing that the product has undergone.
Full-spectrum CBD products contain all of the naturally-occurring compounds, including flavonoids and terpenes, found in the hemp plant. Full-spectrum is as close as you can get to the whole plant.
One of the main benefits of choosing full-spectrum CBD is that it may produce something known as the entourage effect. We know that the various compounds found in hemp – like flavonoids and terpenes – have beneficial properties. The entourage effect is a theory, backed by some initial research, that taking all of these compounds together will result in better results, particularly for conditions like pain and inflammation.
A full-spectrum CBD product will contain all the cannabinoids that naturally occur in the hemp plant, including up to .03% THC. This trace amount of THC isn’t enough to make you high, and won’t cause you to fail a drug test. However, if you are concerned about consuming any THC, then you may want to choose a THC-free CBD product instead, like broad-spectrum CBD or CBD isolate.
Broad-spectrum CBD is exactly the same as full-spectrum CBD, with one important difference: all of the THC has been removed. This means that you may still get the benefits of the entourage effect and all of the other compounds found in hemp – without any risk of feeling stoned or failing a drug test.
Finally, CBD isolates contain only pure CBD extract. There are no other cannabinoids, terpenes or flavonoids in an isolate CBD product. While you won’t get the entourage effect with a CBD isolate, you can typically get a much higher serving size of CBD. Isolates are tasteless and odorless, so they are often added to topical CBD products as well as CBD edibles.
The choice between full-spectrum, broad-spectrum and CBD isolate is largely one of personal preference. While there are a number of benefits associated with taking a full-spectrum CBD, if you are drug tested at work and want to avoid even a chance of getting a false positive result, you may choose a 0% THC broad-spectrum or isolate. Full and broad-spectrum CBD oils also tend to have a stronger taste and smell, which can turn off some people. With these considerations in mind, you can make a decision that is right for you.
What Form of CBD Should I Take?
CBD comes in a number of forms, including CBD oil extracts, tinctures, capsules, inhalers, edibles and topicals. Depending on why you are taking CBD, one product may be better for you than another. For example, if you have pain and swelling in your ankle, you might choose to rub a CBD balm on that ankle rather than take a tincture orally.
CBD Type Selection Chart
- You have allergies to additives
- You’re interested in making your own CBD products
- You want a quick onset
- You want more control over serving size
- You want a quick onset
- You want to avoid earthy flavors/smells (capsules are flavorless & odorless)
- You already take daily capsules (easy to work into your routine)
- You like to snack
- You have a sweet tooth
- You want a vape alternative
- You want a quick onset
- You want targeted relief
- You want a product that will improve your skin
CBD Rich Hemp Raw Oil Extracts
Raw CBD oil is extracted directly from the hemp plant. This oil is also used to make other cannabinoid products, but is processed in some way beforehand. If you want the pure, unfiltered form of CBD, pure CBD oil is the way to go. CBD oils also tend to be a great value, since you are paying for the CBD itself, and not other ingredients or processing.
CBD oil can be extracted from the hemp plant in a number of ways. We recommend products that are CO2 extracted, as other methods can leave chemical residues. These oils are primarily sold in oral syringes that allow the customer to dispense a very small amount of product at a time.
CBD oil is placed under your tongue, which allows for fast absorption into your system. This can make it a good choice for anyone seeking quick relief of their symptoms.
There are three main types of oil:
- Raw (Green) – This is as close as you are likely going to get to the plant growing in the earth. It will be composed of cannabinoids, plant terpenes, and plant matter. It’s generally a thick paste with a small recommended starting serving size of 1-2 grains of rice grain-sized servings per day. The taste will be very earthy or grassy.
- Decarboxylated (Blue) – Decarb is just a fancy way to say “heated.” In the decarboxylation process, the raw paste is heated and some of the plant matter is filtered out. This produces a stronger concentration of CBD. The finished product will still be a paste, but likely a little thinner in texture and lighter in color. The serving size will be similar to the raw.
- Filtered (Gold) – This is the most processed of the oil extracts. All plant matter is filtered out, leaving behind a much higher concentration of cannabinoids This oil has more of a gel texture and will be gold in color with a slightly peppery taste. The serving size will once again be 1-2 grains of rice-sized servings per day, or as directed by your physician.
CBD tinctures are a more palatable or tastier way to consume CBD oil. They are made by adding emulsifiers, a carrier oil and flavorings to the CBD oil. In some products, a sweetener is added to the mix. The resulting tincture is packaged with a dropper or spray top to make it easy to use.
CBD tinctures are a great starter product for new users. They are also a good option for anyone who doesn’t enjoy the earthier or grassier flavor of raw CBD oil. Some flavors, like spearmint and orange, will mask the hemp flavor, while others, like vanilla, will complement it.
CBD capsules offer the same benefits as raw CBD oil or CBD tinctures, but are much easier for many people to take. With a CBD capsule, you are getting a measured serving size of CBD. Because the oil is encapsulated or contained in a softgel, you also won’t have to deal with a taste that you may find unpleasant.
CBD edibles are exactly what they sound like: a food product that contains CBD. To make an edible, a manufacturer starts with a raw or decarb CBD oil, and then adds it to foods like chocolate, hard candy, gummies, or even teas and coffee. This is a good way to “sneak” cannabinoids into your diet in a fun way. CBD edibles can be delicious (the Koi gummies are so good!), but because they are more processed than other forms of CBD and contain lower amounts of CBD per serving size, they are not particularly cost-effective.
CBD / Hemp Topicals
Cannabinoids like CBD have been shown to help with a range of skin conditions, from acne to itchy bug bites. Although CBD oil can be used directly on the skin, it is generally more effective to use a specifically formulated topical that uses carrier compounds and ingredients that will allow the cannabinoids to soak into the skin more quickly. These topical balms, creams, and lotions often have a great scent or smoother texture, and are great for targeted pain or itch relief.
CBD for Pets
Hemp oil treatments aren’t only beneficial to humans. Any mammal may benefit from taking CBD, as our bodies all have an endocannabinoid system (ECS). Taking plant-based cannabinoids, or phytocannabinoids, may help our bodies – and those of our pets – in balance and alleviate certain symptoms. Many families have successfully used these tailored products for treating pain, stress, anxiety, and other symptoms in their pets.
What Serving Size Is Right for Me?
When shopping for CBD, you may notice that the bottle or package lists a total amount of CBD in the package. For some products, like CBD capsules or edibles, it may also list a specific amount of CBD per serving size. Otherwise, you can do some quick math to divide the total amount of CBD in the package by the unit of measure.
There is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all serving size for CBD products, as each person is unique and may be affected in different ways by CBD. The best way to figure out a serving size that is right for you is to consult with your doctor.
Otherwise, you should start with a small amount (such as 10 to 15 milligrams, or mg, per day) and see how it makes you feel. Over time, you can gradually increase the amount of CBD that you take daily by 5 to 10 mg. When you find a serving size that seems to work well for you, continue taking that amount.
What about THC?
As noted above, some types of CBD may contain trace amounts of THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana. That is because hemp and marijuana are both part of the cannabis sativa family of plants. Under federal law, hemp may contain as much as 0.3% THC.
If you want to avoid THC entirely, you should choose a broad-spectrum or CBD isolate product. They may also be labeled THC-free or 0% THC. Keep in mind that the miniscule amount of THC found in hemp won’t make you feel high – and it is perfectly legal.
However, if a product contains more than 0.3% THC, it is considered marijuana, and is illegal under federal law. It may also be illegal in states that have not legalized the use of marijuana for medical or recreational purposes. Currently, a number of states make it illegal to use or buy marijuana. In the below-listed states, only CBD is legal:
- South Carolina
Keep in mind that in many U.S. states, marijuana has only been legalized for medical use. If you live in any of the states where marijuana is completely illegal or only legal for medicinal use, it’s important to make sure the THC content of the products you’re purchasing are below .3%. Even if marijuana is legal in your state, it’s generally beneficial to purchase products with low levels of THC so that you get all of the benefits of CBD without having an altered mental state.
Is CBD Oil The Same As Hemp Seed Oil?
As you shop for CBD products, it’s also important to understand that CBD oil is not the same as hemp seed oil (which is sometimes labeled hemp oil). CBD oil is extracted from the leaves, stems, bud, and flower of the plant. Hemp seed oil is extracted by cold pressing hemp seeds.
There are a lot of health benefits associated with hemp seed oil and products made from hemp seeds. Hemp seed oil is rich in omega fatty acids, vitamin E, and protein, so it is incredibly nourishing and works well as a topical. However, hemp seed oil contains little to no CBD. This means that you won’t get the benefits associated specifically with CBD if you purchase hemp seed oil.
On some websites, sellers will label CBD products as hemp seed oil or hemp extract oil to get around rules that prohibit the sale of CBD. This type of dishonest labeling doesn’t allow you to be exactly sure of what you’re getting – and should be avoided whenever possible.
How to Shop for Safe, High Quality CBD Online
These days, you can buy CBD almost anywhere – but that doesn’t mean that you should. Not every brick-and-mortar shop that sells CBD products knows what they’re doing. And far too many online marketplaces are simply untrustworthy.
Here is the secret that many of these stores won’t tell you: CBD isn’t regulated by the FDA. As a result, there isn’t a good way to quickly or easily figure out exactly what you’re buying. The only way to make sure that you are getting what you pay for (and nothing else) is to view testing results from an independent laboratory.
Below, we’ll break down the various places you can buy CBD – and whether it’s a good idea to purchase CBD from those physical or online locations.
Large Consumer Marketplaces
Let’s face it: it is way too easy to buy something from large online consumer marketplaces like Amazon, eBay and Etsy. These sites have just about everything that you could need or want, although (as many of us have learned firsthand), they don’t always have the highest quality items. It isn’t surprising, then, that these websites aren’t the best place to purchase CBD products.
In fact, sellers are prohibited from selling CBD on both Amazon and ebay. Despite this restriction, many sellers have found a workaround: labeling products as hemp oil or hemp extract instead of using the word CBD. This can make it incredibly hard to know what your getting, and whether it is a quality product.
Hemp products on Amazon and Ebay are marked up at a premium, so you’ll actually receive better value products shopping elsewhere and you’ll have an easier time validating that you’re receiving a safe product.
CBD Sites That Make Big Promises
There are any number of online sites selling CBD. Many of them make outlandish promises about what CBD can do for you, or how it can cure certain conditions. You should avoid these companies at all costs.
The reality is that while the preliminary research on CBD is incredibly positive, we still have a lot to learn about cannabidiol. If a company is promoting CBD as a cure-all, it’s a good sign that you should exit out of it immediately and find a site that focuses on the science. At Green Wellness Life, we are excited about all of the promise that CBD holds – but we also know that the science is still emerging in this field. Our goal is to give you the research and information so that you can make an informed decision in conjunction with your doctor about whether CBD is right for you.
So How Can I Tell If a Store Is Trustworthy?
After reading the above, you may think that buying CBD is more trouble than it’s worth, with potential minefields everywhere. It doesn’t have to be that hard. There is a relatively easy way to buy safe, high-quality CBD online without worrying that you are being scammed or sold a bill of goods.
Want to know if a store or website can be trusted? Below are some factors to consider.
Does the store or site publicly post lab test results for their products, or provide them on request?
As noted above, CBD products aren’t regulated by the FDA. This means that it can be hard to know exactly what you’re getting when you purchase a CBD product. The only way to know for sure is to review lab results.
Cannabis plants readily absorb heavy metals, pesticides, and other harmful chemicals. During the extraction process, traces of harmful chemicals may also be left behind. Lab results allow you to see for yourself if the product you’re buying contains anything that you don’t want.
Results from an independent lab will also tell you exactly how much CBD and THC are contained in a particular product. It’s easy enough for companies to make big promises about what is in their CBD – but they can’t fake third party laboratory testing. If a store or website doesn’t offer or make these results available, avoid buying CBD from them.
How is the CBD in the products sourced?
CBD is legal in the United States – provided that it contains 0.3% THC or less. The best way to make sure that you are consuming legal CBD that has just a trace amount of CBD is to only purchase products that are made from industrial hemp grown in the United States. It’s also a good way to avoid potential contaminants that may be in the soil where hemp is grown in countries with less stringent environmental standards.
Does the site or store make big promises that it can’t keep?
CBD seems pretty miraculous to us at Green Wellness Life, but we are aware that the science on CBD is still emerging. Our team is happy to offer you information about our own experiences with CBD and links to the latest research – but we will never make wild claims about CBD being a cure-all.
If a site or a store does make these types of claims, you should avoid them. Yes, CBD has a lot of potential benefits – but if a company is claiming more than what the research has proved, it’s a major red flag.
What types of reviews does the store or site have?
In addition to looking for test results, make sure to read reviews for both the company and the product. Reviews provide complete transparency from real customers who have purchased in the past. If a company is taking the time to respond to complaints or questions on their reviews, it’s a good sign you’ll receive the same level of service and attention in your time of need.
Does the site or store offer resources for you to learn more?
CBD is relatively new in the U.S. marketplace. Companies that specialize in CBD tend to have a lot more knowledge about CBD than the average American – and should be willing to share that insight. After all, a reputable store or site would want you to make an informed decision about whether CBD is right for you, rather than enticing you to buy something that might not be the best choice for your particular situation.
Check to see if the company has a blog or resource section. If a company is willing to provide in-depth information on CBD and CBD products online, they are committed to keeping their consumers informed and making education a priority. Does the shop regularly post and update information? Do they provide relevant and authoritative sources for the information that they cite? If the answer is yes to both of these questions, and they also have reviews and lab results check out, then you’ve likely stumbled upon a trustworthy company.
Finding a Great CBD Brand
When shopping online for CBD on a trustworthy site, there are a few things that you should pay attention to when it comes to the brands that you buy. Specifically, pay close attention to how the hemp is sourced and cultivated and the method of extraction used.
Sourcing & Cultivation Details
A key factor in deciding what CBD product to buy is learning where the hemp used to make it was grown. Research the brand you’re considering buying from and see if you can find where their hemp is sourced from. Many reputable product manufacturers will include this information on their website. As an example, below is a statement from Medterra’s website:
If the CBD oil is made from homegrown, American hemp, then it’s coming from a regulated source. This means that your product will contain substantial levels of CBD and safe levels of THC.
On top of sourcing, you’ll also want to evaluate extraction methods. There are several different ways to extract CBD from cannabis. Extraction via the CO2 method is by far the safest way to extract CBD, because CBD and other ingredients are extracted using high-pressure carbon dioxide gas rather than chemical solvents. Extraction via CO2 removes possible solvents and harmful contaminants from the oil. The end result is a product that is pure and potent.
Extraction methods aren’t as readily available online, but if you contact the company you’re interested in buying from, they may be able to provide you with these details. The extraction method is sometimes also listed on the product label.
Products To Avoid At All Costs
First and foremost, unlike prescription drugs, CBD products cannot make health claims. Even claims for minor conditions like relief for migraines would be illegal. The more dramatic a health claim is, the more skeptical you should be. Products that claim to cure things like cancer or heart disease should definitely be approached with skepticism, as there currently isn’t enough medical research or testing to back those claims.
The FDA has cracked down on dozens of companies making sweeping health claims, but dozens more may still exist. As previously mentioned, if lab test results aren’t available, you should not purchase the product. You do not want to risk consuming heavy metals, pesticides, or other harmful chemicals.
It’s also recommended that you avoid purchasing CBD products at general stores like gas stations, beauty salons, and grocery stores. These stores are not experts in CBD and may not necessarily be selling trustworthy products. It’s highly encouraged that you purchase CBD products from a store that exclusively focuses on selling CBD products. These stores have dedicated their time and effort to research their brands and carefully select which products they sell. They know their products inside and out and they’ll be able to appropriately answer any questions you may have.
Legitimate & Trusted CBD Brands
There are SO many CBD brands out there! We carry only those that we have tried ourselves, and had tested at a third party lab. We want to make sure that all the good things (like an accurate amount of cannabinoids) are in there! And that all the not so good things (like psychotropic compounds, heavy metals, and pesticides) are not there. We also choose to work with those companies that service their customers just as we do. Here are some of our favorite (and best selling!) brands: